One of the most respected non-profit organizations worldwide, the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) is dedicated exclusively to promoting electrical safety at home and in the workplace. They have put together a very helpful guide that guides homeowners regarding electrical safety in their outdoor spaces. The following summarizes the information ESFI provides. Call a licensed electrician and schedule a safety audit of your entire home to get the best results.
Four Outdoor Electrical Safety Devices
- Fuses or circuit breakers protect against overcurrent conditions that may lead to shock or fire hazards.
- GFCIs (ground-fault circuit interrupters) protect against deadly shock by detecting ground faults or electrical current leaks from the circuit.
- Three-pronged outlets and plugs and polarized outlets and plugs protect against potential shock.
- AFCIs (arc fault circuit interrupters) protect against fires caused by electrical arcing in wiring by de-energizing the circuit when an arc fault is detected.
How to Avoid Outdoor Electrical Accidents
- Avoid Water – Electrical products with line cords must be kept away from hot tubs, puddles, sinks, and pools. Outdoor outlets should be weather-protected by outlet covers.
- Do Not Use a Plug with a Disabled 3rd Prong – Do not remove the third prong. Throw away electrical devices and extension cords that have damaged prongs.
- Do Not Use Damaged Wiring – Replace, throw away, or repair damaged electrical parts, cords, and plugs.
- Proper and Safe Use of Electrical Devices – Study instruction manuals. Wear goggles and other safety equipment as instructed.
- Do Not Leave Devices Unattended – Turn off, unplug, and store electrical devices that are not being used.
- Properly Use Extension Cords – The power needs of electrical devices, which are on their labels and in manuals, should match the information on the label of the extension cord, ensuring a rating appropriate for outdoor use.
Download the Complete Guide: ESFI Outdoor Electrical Safety Check
Electrical Services You Can Trust
Founded in 1991 and serving Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., where we are licensed and insured, Meyer Electrical Services provides home and commercial electrical services you can trust, including:
- Standby Generator Installation
- Panel Upgrades (Heavy-Ups)
- Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
- Structured Cabling
- Circuit Breaker Replacement
Based in Bethesda, our team proudly serves all of Montgomery County. Receive a free consultation for custom electrical work today by calling (301) 941-1400.