Part 2 will discuss Selecting Exterior Fixtures, Determine Lighting Style, Be Aware of Ratings, and How Outdoor Areas Can Increase Home Value.
Selecting Exterior Fixtures
There are numerous categories of outdoor lighting fixtures can be utilized in various ways. Types include ceiling fixtures, lamp posts, wall sconces, and pendants. Gaining popularity in the last few years are the three listed below:
- Bollard lights, which are vertical posts, usually from 40” to 44” tall, that improve the visibility on architectural paths, long driveways, and pathways.
- Path lights, which work like bollards, but are only 14” in height.
- Uplights highlight flagpoles, greenery, and water features.
Determine Lighting Style
The lighting style you choose will depend on your taste. You can start by asking the questions below.
- Would you like the exterior lighting to imitate your indoor lighting? This can be a way to connect the two spaces.
- Is the architecture of your home’s exterior different from the interior? If so, outdoor lighting can be used to accentuate these features. An alternative is going minimalist and playing down the effects of exterior fixtures.
- Do you want something unique and personal for your home’s exterior? Similar to art and furniture, there is a wide range of styles, so consulting with a lighting designer may be the best approach.
Be Aware of Ratings
As safety is paramount, work with a licensed electrician to ensure the exterior lighting purchased is properly rated for the area where it will be installed. Wet-rated indicates a product can be utilized in areas exposed directly to weather. Damp-rated is designed to be used in sheltered environments that can become damp. Local code may require Dark Sky compliance, which reduces light pollution at night, and a licensed electrician can give you advice.
How Outdoor Areas Can Increase Home Value
A growing trend is creating a multi-functional outdoor space for your home that can be used for preparing meals and outdoor dining. Designing the proper lighting scheme that can serve both will be important. Having done a great job, a homeowner can anticipate many years of fun with family and friends outdoors and a greater resale value.
Electrical Services You Can Trust
Founded in 1991, Meyer Electrical Services provides home and commercial electrical services in Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., where we are licensed and insured. Based in Bethesda, our team proudly serves all of Montgomery County. Receive a free consultation for custom electrical work today by calling (301) 941-1400.