The condition of electrical wiring in your hotel or motel’s buildings can impact your business in terms of safety and liability. A well-designed and maintained electrical system reduces the risk of injuries and fatalities, damaged equipment and electronics, power outages, and fires.
Electrical wiring in solid condition is crucial in the Mid-Atlantic region, where buildings must deal with the weather extremes of four seasons. Below will cover symptoms indicating that the electrical infrastructure of a guest facility needs an upgrade or repair.
If your hotel or motel is 40 years old or older, it is very likely that your electrical infrastructure is no longer capable of meeting the current power demands of your business efficiently or safely. This is especially true if maintenance has been neglected or performed improperly over the years.
If you see the symptoms below, the electrical system of your guest facility is probably unsafe:
- Appliances and electrical equipment are sluggish and can’t attain full power.
- Circuit breakers trip or fuses blow frequently.
- Electrical outlets are melted or look brownish.
- Extension cords are needed because there are not sufficient electrical outlets.
- Lights flickering or dimming when an appliance or large machine is turned on.
- Some of the insulation around wires have melted.
- Some rooms have a hot plastic burning smell.
- Sparks fly when plugging into an electrical outlet.
- Switches or electrical outlets feel warm to the touch.
- Touching a metal appliance gives you a tingling sensation.
Although some of the above problems do not pose an immediate threat, they should be addressed quickly for the protection of guests and employees.
Part 2 will cover Important Safety Suggestions and Inadequate Electrical Panels.
Electrical Services You Can Trust
Founded in 1991 and serving Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., where we are licensed and insured, Meyer Electrical Services provides home and commercial electrical services you can trust, including:
- Standby Generator Installation
- Panel Upgrades (Heavy-Ups)
- Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
- Structured Cabling
- Circuit Breaker Replacement
Based in Bethesda, our team proudly serves all of Montgomery County. Receive a free consultation for custom electrical work today by calling (301) 941-1400.