Spring for Your Home Electrical Safety Inspection
When a licensed electrician performs an electrical safety inspection, you will get a thorough examination of your home’s electrical system. The procedure helps ensure its electrical wires and components meet safety standards. An inspection helps protect property and ensure the safety of residents.
Licensed electricians work under the National Electrical Code (NEC), which sets minimum standards for electrical infrastructure in the United States. After an inspection, a professional will typically give a homeowner a detailed report that includes a list of those items that require immediate attention and recommendations for further upgrades.
For an electrical safety inspection to be effective, it should be performed by a licensed electrician who has the competency to properly perform necessary safety checks. Homeowners need a residential electrician with the experience and training to find the common electrical issues of homes and address them.
When Electrical Safety Inspection Needed
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), an individual should schedule an electrical safety inspection for the reasons below.
- When buying a home
- If the home is 40 years old or more
- When installing a major appliance
- Before the home is renovated or remodeled
- Homeowner’s insurance purposes
- When the last inspection was performed more than 10 years ago
A licensed electrician will typically carry out the following tasks:
- Check the condition of switch and wall outlets
- Check for outdated wirings such as aluminum and knob-and-tube wiring
- Check for worn-out electrical wiring and components
- Check grounding systems
- Ensure safe operation of appliances and electrical components
- Facilitate energy savings to decrease utility costs
- Identify and correct fire and other safety hazards
- Identify electrical or wiring errors by contractors or previous owners
- Inspect the electrical panel for proper operation
- Inspect outdoor electrical systems
- Satisfy homeowner’s insurance requirements
- Validate proper surge protection
- Verify lighting fixture wattage
- Verify the proper function of AFCIs and GFCIs
- Verify proper placement of smoke detectors and fire alarm systems and test
Electrical Services You Can Trust
Founded in 1991 and serving Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., where we are licensed and insured, Meyer Electrical Services provides home and commercial electrical services you can trust, including:
- Standby Generator Installation
- Panel Upgrades (Heavy-Ups)
- Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
- Structured Cabling
- Circuit Breaker Replacement
Based in Bethesda, our team proudly serves all of Montgomery County. Receive a free consultation for custom electrical work today by calling (301) 941-1400.