Warning you of deadly hazards, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are essential safety devices that help protect you and your family. Research has found that fatalities often result from home fires that start late at night or early morning when residents are deep asleep.
A house fire can expand swiftly in a very short time. Noxious gases such as carbon monoxide can quickly weaken a victim’s ability to concentrate, resulting in disorientation, confusion, and eventually death.
It is crucial that every home has several smoke and carbon monoxide detectors that are properly installed in the correct locations. Not only will this possibly save lives, it is also the law. Work with a local experienced and licensed electrician for the best results.
Recommendations for Safety
• Make sure there is a minimum of one smoke and one carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home. Also ensure they are installed in the right locations to promote safety.
• Hire a licensed electrician to hardwire your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. This will ensure these safety devices keep doing their job detecting smoke or gas in case their batteries are dead. It still makes sense to have batteries installed as a backup source of electricity in the event of a power outage.
• Regularly clean the detectors by dusting or vacuuming them. This keeps their sensors clean in order to retain their ability to detect.
• On a monthly basis, test your detectors. By pressing the test button you can make sure electricity is still being provided to the devices. Blowing a candle out near a smoke detector will confirm that it can detect smoke by activating its alarm within 20 seconds.
Electrical Services You Can Trust
Founded in 1991 and serving Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., where we are licensed and insured, Meyer Electrical Services provides home and commercial electrical services you can trust, including:
• Standby Generator Installation
• Panel Upgrades (Heavy-Ups)
• Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
• Structured Cabling
• Circuit Breaker Replacement
Based in Bethesda, our team proudly serves all of Montgomery County. Receive a free consultation for custom electrical work today by calling (301) 941-1400.