Home Ventilation Basics for Healthier Air – Part 2
As discussed in Part 1, studies have shown that poor air quality inside a home can harm the health of residents. Part 2 will discuss three main types of home ventilation systems.
Selecting the Right Ventilation System for Your Home
1) Decentralized Mechanical Extract Ventilation (d-MEV) – This system is especially effective for homes that are highly insulated because it is unobtrusive and quiet. Its perpetually running fan removes damp air, which may cause condensation and mold, and then provides fresh clean air for interior circulation.
2) Intermittent Extractor Fans – Widely utilized for bathrooms, kitchens, and windowless rooms. They have manual or automatic modes, using motion and humidity sensors for activation. The two common types are described below.
• Axial Fans – Best for window and through-the-wall applications.
• Centrifugal & Mixed Flow Fan – Powerful and quiet, they are best suited for ducted installations.
3) Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR) – A typical system provides ventilation for the entire home. It draws interior stale air, recovers heat normally lost through a heat exchanger, and then vents it outside. The recovered energy is utilized for pre-warming air drawn in from outside, which is then filtered and circulated.
Summary of Benefits
In addition to cooling the interior environment, a home ventilation system promotes a healthier environment. This is accomplished by decreasing the presence of moisture, which can lead to the growth of harmful mold spores. Mold can potentially aggravate skin and respiratory conditions.
Most home ventilation systems come with user-friendly control features. They make ventilation more economical by utilizing exterior air. Installing an effective home ventilation system will make your home more comfortable because interior temperatures and levels of humidity will be more controllable and consistent.
Electrical Services You Can Trust
Founded in 1991 and serving Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., where we are licensed and insured, Meyer Electrical Services provides home and commercial electrical services you can trust, including:
• Standby Generator Installation
• Panel Upgrades (Heavy-Ups)
• Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
• Structured Cabling
• Circuit Breaker Replacement
Based in Bethesda, our team proudly serves all of Montgomery County. Receive a free consultation for custom electrical work today by calling (301) 941-1400.