As discussed in Part 1, studies have found that Federal Pacific Electric Stab-Lok (FPE Stab-Lok) electrical panels and circuit breakers are responsible for a considerable number of injuries, deaths, and property losses annually. Part 2 will discuss Latent Hazards, National Electric Code Violation, Field Inspection and Testing. Consult with an experienced and licensed electrician regarding FPE Stab-Lok replacement for your safety.
FPE Stab-Lok electrical panels and circuit breakers are latent hazards for both electrical shock and fire. In other words, they are accidents waiting to happen. If an overcurrent happens, there is a great probability that these products will be unable to perform properly and protect people and property. Even though a homeowner has never seen an issue, it may just be that an overcurrent incident has not yet occurred, and the FPE Stab-Lok circuit breakers have not been put to the test.
National Electric Code Violation
FPE Stab-Lok electrical panels and circuit breakers do not comply with National Electrical Code (NEC) because studies have confirmed their high rates of failure. NEC code states that these electrical items must have protection against overcurrent, and so a building equipped with an FPE Stab-Lok product is not in compliance because its use results in a greater probability of fire and injury.
Field Inspection and Testing
Field inspection and testing of FPE Stab-Lok electrical panels and circuit breakers are unreliable and unsafe for the following two reasons:
1) Engineers, inspectors, and licensed electricians do not have a practical method of determining which circuit breakers are internally defective within a particular electrical panel. Adequate testing will require functional and life test procedures and most professionals do not have the training and equipment to perform them.
2) Experts advise not to attempt any field testing of FPE Stab-Lok electrical panels and circuit breakers. Such tests may lead to fire or injury because just the act of switching a breaker ON and OFF may make a trip failure more likely later.
Electrical Services You Can Trust
Founded in 1991 and serving Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., where we are licensed and insured, Meyer Electrical Services provides home and commercial electrical services you can trust, including:
- Standby Generator Installation
- Panel Upgrades (Heavy-Ups)
- Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
- Structured Cabling
- Circuit Breaker Replacement
Based in Bethesda, our team proudly serves all of Montgomery County. Receive a free consultation for custom electrical work today by calling (301) 941-1400.