Our houses are filled with expensive appliances and electronic devices powered by electricity. Power surges are capable of harming these items to the point where they cannot function anymore. Fortunately, whole house surge protection can be installed to guard against the negative effects of power surges. Consult with an experienced and licensed electrician for the best results.
Power Surge Description
Also called voltage surges, power surges happen when voltage rises beyond what is normal for a period longer than 10 milliseconds. They can be categorized by the two types below:
- Spikes, also called elevations, or interruptions of electrical current result in a jump in the energy flowing to electrical outlets
- Electrical sources inducing energy backflows
Depending on the cause, a power surge can suddenly raise the flow of electric current by just five volts or up to thousands of volts. Considerable variations of electrical flow are capable of frying electrical equipment plugged into outlets and completely blowing fuses. Power surges can harm the expensive items below:
- Entertainment systems, including TVs, stereos, and Blu-Ray/DVD players
- Computers, servers, and peripheral equipment like routers and printers
- Appliances, including refrigerators, microwaves, washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers
- HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) Systems
- From 50 to 100 energy spikes strike an average home every day.
- Lightning strikes are often not covered by home insurance policies.
- Sensitive equipment can still be damaged by lightning striking within a mile.
Lightning occasionally strikes power lines or transformers, causing a jump in voltage. Other power surges can occur when falling tree branches or flying debris collide with utility lines, when electricity is restored after power outages, and when there is a transfer of electricity carried out by the power company. Actually, 60% to 80% of home power surges are caused by common activities causing unnoticed energy fluctuations.
Part 2 will discuss Common Home Sources, Surge Protection, and Main Benefits.
Electrical Services You Can Trust
Founded in 1991, Meyer Electrical Services provides home and commercial electrical services in Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., where we are licensed and insured. Based in Bethesda, our team proudly serves all of Montgomery County. Receive a free consultation for custom electrical work today by calling (301) 941-1400.