The rooms and outdoors areas of your home can serve several purposes. They can be settings for relaxation, working, socializing, and eating. The lighting configuration should meet the needs of users at each specific location.
Many of us think that only one light source will cover everything we will need. However, experts advise that there are actually four kinds of lighting that will be needed for each home. They are Ambient Indoor, Ambient Outdoor, Accent, and Task.
Rely on an experienced and licensed electrician for lighting projects in your home to get the best results and ensure safety.
Ambient or general lighting is meant to provide lighting for the whole room. This type of illumination is intended to be uniform lighting that will cover the entire space. In addition, it is independent of other kinds of lighting sources.
The chief purpose of ambient indoor lighting is to make sure people can move safely and easily throughout a space. It accomplishes this by providing overall illumination. Ambient light also reflects from walls, increasing its range and effectiveness in corner areas and behind large pieces of furniture.
Below are fixtures that are capable of providing ambient indoor lighting in a home:
- Ceiling-mounted fixtures
- Floor lamps
- LED down lights and/or traditional recessed fixtures
- Table lamps
- Track lighting
- Wall-mounted fixtures
- Typically installed to help ensure areas are visible and safe, ambient outdoor lighting also enhances security around a home. Experts highly recommend illuminating the exterior areas of a house, especially entrances and stairways, to decrease the risk of injury to residents and visitors.
- Below are fixtures that are capable of providing ambient outdoor lighting in the exterior areas of a home:
- Canopy and garage lights
- Hanging fixtures
- Post lanterns
Part 2 will discuss Accent and Task lighting for your home.
Electrical Services You Can Trust
Founded in 1991 and serving Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., where we are licensed and insured, Meyer Electrical Services provides home and commercial electrical services you can trust, including:
- Standby Generator Installation
- Panel Upgrades (Heavy-Ups)
- Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
- Structured Cabling
- Circuit Breaker Replacement
Based in Bethesda, our team proudly serves all of Montgomery County. Receive a free consultation for custom electrical work today by calling (301) 941-1400.