Upgrading Apartment Building’s Electrical System for Safety – Part 1
Every apartment building owner should keep in mind that the condition of its electrical system is crucial. When it is properly installed and maintained, the risks of injuries and fatalities, damaged equipment and electronics, power outages, and fires are decreased significantly.
Solid electrical wiring is very important in the Mid-Atlantic region, where apartment buildings must cope with the extremes of both summer and winter. The following will discuss symptoms that indicate the electrical infrastructure of an apartment building requires an upgrade or repair.
Outdated Electrical System
If your apartment building is 40 years old or older, it is very likely that its electrical infrastructure is not capable of meeting today’s modern power demands efficiently or safely. This is especially true if its maintenance was poor or neglected.
If you notice the following symptoms, the electrical system of your apartment building is probably unsafe:
- Appliances and other electrical equipment run sluggishly and are unable to attain full power.
- Certain rooms have a hot plastic or burning smell.
- Circuit breakers trip or fuses blow frequently.
- Electrical outlets appear brownish or melted.
- Extension cords are required to power equipment because there are not enough electrical outlets.
- Lights dimming or flickering, especially after an air conditioner, refrigerator, or large appliance is turned on.
- Portions of insulation around wires have melted.
- Sparks fly when you plug a device into an electrical outlet.
- Switchplates or electrical outlets feel warm or hot to the touch.
- When a metal appliance is touched, you feel a tingling situation. This indicates the appliance is not grounded properly and may cause an electric shock.
Although several of the above issues do not pose a threat immediately, they should be addressed as soon as possible to protect the residents of your apartment building.
Part 2 will cover Important Safety Suggestions and Outdated Electrical Panels.
Electrical Services You Can Trust
Founded in 1991 and serving Maryland, Virginia, and D.C., where we are licensed and insured, Meyer Electrical Services provides home and commercial electrical services you can trust, including:
- Standby Generator Installation
- Panel Upgrades (Heavy-Ups)
- Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
- Structured Cabling
- Circuit Breaker Replacement
Based in Bethesda, our team proudly serves all of Montgomery County. Receive a free consultation for custom electrical work today by calling (301) 941-1400.